Saturday, September 17, 2011

I hate my full tank of gas

When you buy a new car, it's common for the dealer to fill it up with gas, and this is what happened when I bought my Volt.

But when you think about it, this was a mistake. If you're driving a Volt around town in electric mode, all you need in the tank is a gallon or two to either get you home or get you to a gas station if you run out of juice. Any extra is just dead weight you're lugging around, reducing your efficiency.

A quick calculation shows that that extra gasoline probably reduces the range of the car by about 1%. That's a whole 2500 feet of range I'm missing out on! And because I'm serious about not using gas, I'll be lugging the damn stuff around forever!

Bitch, moan, bitch, moan!

But seriously, Chevy dealers should offer to deliver the Volt with a couple of gallons of gas + a gift card for the difference, and explain why. It's just another way to emphasize the difference between the Volt and regular cars.

PS: My wife points out that another way for me to get more range out of the car is to go on a stricter diet, but I think that's going a bit overboard, don't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment